Skip to main content

Challenging the concept of 'academic'.

Dr. Tim Zijlstra photographWelcome to the first ever post for 'A tale of two Universities'. Sandra and I have talked about starting a blog together for a very long time and it is now here! The way this will work is that both of us will post individual posts, about our work and interests whilst we will also aim to capture some of our more fascinating discussions in joint posts and where feasible we will invite colleagues to contribute as well.

This post is both an introduction to me, and to a concept I want to challenge, that of an 'academic'. My full name is Dr. TimotheĆ¼s Ruurd Zijlstra - commonly referred to as Tim. I frequently refer to myself as the accidental academic and that is what I'd like this first post to be about whilst doubling as an introduction to my academic journey.



After partying too hard and failing miserably twice at obtaining an undergraduate degree, I qualified from a 'vocational University' and worked as a 'locum' for the provincial public library service, covering illnesses, holidays and so on in a wide range of libraries all over the province. Fascinating work, but I needed my own library - my first 'professional' post was at a secondary school. It was four days a week, so I could also sign up for further study. I attended the 'proper' University to take modules in Frisian Language and Culture. Although I did not finish the entire degree, it gave me a fascinating realisation that the difference between an 'academic' and a 'vocational' University is indeed real.

Sandra, an alumnus from a 'proper' University herself, told me this repeatedly, but I didn't believe her up until that point. Fast forward 15 years and I work for a post 1992 University, she works for a Russell Group University. I get frustrated by what I perceive to be a weakness in research at my place of work, she gets frustrated by what she perceives to be a weakness in education at her place of work. You can now see why this blog is called 'A tale of two Universities...'

What is academic? Are my colleagues and students at Derby (UoD) less 'academic' than Sandra's colleagues at Sheffield (UoS)?

I obtained my MSc from the University of Sheffield, I worked there as a Research Assistant on a million plus £ European FP7 research project. I obtained my PhD from Loughborough University, widely regarded one of the leading 'teaching' Universities in the UK with a very strong research underpinning. There I worked as a Research Associate on a small, local project. Does that make me an 'academic' or, considering the journey to get there, an 'accidental academic'?

To explore that notion it is important to go back to that first Research Assistant post, I was still Mr. Tim, but my MSc tutor had seen something and wanted me to apply for the RA post after qualifying with a distinction, by this time I had learned to apply myself to my studies, some call it growing up. My intention was to qualify and head into academic libraries, I had a part-time supervisor post at the UoS library at the very prestigious Information Commons and could have made the step to a professional library post. However, the RA led to me wanting to do more, I had picked up several ideas I wanted to explore and Loughborough had AHRC funded studentships going. hence I accidentally became an academic. Or should that be a researcher?

That is the core of this discussion I feel, the role of research and the balance of research and teaching. My current role is officially that of Resource Centre Manager. Me and my brilliant team deliver a wide range of student services in a 'one-stop-shop model', most significantly the delivery of 'Enhance Your Learning' a range of study skill sessions developed by the library. It is a fascinating new way of working that I am currently preparing a paper on, but ehmmm... I am not an academic? Or am I?

Recently I had a very interesting chat with a senior colleague in the department - she insists on calling herself an academic, like me she has taught in HE before and now manages the delivery of teaching for the Careers Service. I floated the idea of 'ancillary teaching' and she, correctly, shut it down:

"We are academics Tim, and we can only be seen as equal by lecturers if we embrace that position'. 

I have thought about that a lot and she is right. It is therefore also right that people in positions like ours conduct research. An interesting parallel with Sandra, who's formal title is Senior Clinical Teacher, but her work as an academic, through research and by innovating teaching has led to her award of the Principal Fellow of the Advance HE (PFHEA).

This realisation has also reinvigorated my interest in conducting, supporting and encouraging research with fellow academics. I am no longer an 'accidental academic', I am an academic and, within my role, I can play a pivotal role in stimulating the University of Derby to conduct and carry out research whilst embracing our identity as a University where teaching is the key to delivering a brilliant student experience.

Comments